Meeting Minutes: April 5, 2014
- The Best Community Events Contest being held by the APA has 5 entries from our area (Brant Lake Winter Carnival, Rum Runners Weekend, County Bi-Centennial, Down Hill Derby, and Horicon Day) and Bob Olson will be attending the presentation ceremony as a representative to hopefully accept an award or two!
- The TLBA committee for the North Warren Scholarship will be meeting again and will get the necessary forms to the school for this year’s graduation. Scholarship will be for $500.
- The Wine Tasting on April 23rd (as shown on the placemats) is an error. There will be a beer tasting at the Panther Mt Inn sometime in April. Exact date and time to follow.
- This year’s Car Hops will take place the 2nd Friday of every month, beginning May 9th and running through September.
- The ATV Poker Run to benefit the Helper’s Fund will be held May 10th so as not to interfere with graduation and the fishing tournament.
- Chestertown Farmers Market has over 20 vendors signed up and will begin June 18th and run every Wednesday from 10 am to 2 pm until mid September.
- Chamber of Commerce is selling raffle tickets for a Hornbeck Canoe.
- Carroll Theatre has a great write-up on the front page of the Adirondack Journal. http://www.adirondackjournal.com/news/2014/apr/05/chester-citizens-seek-revive-historic-carol-theate/
Hopefully we will be able to organize a few events there this summer, and it was suggested we hold a Town Meeting to see what the public opinion is on reviving the theatre. A discussion was held on exactly how much the TLBA would contribute to this project. We also need a piano for future productions, so if anyone has one they are willing to donate, we’ll pick it up! Contact Al Tolomeo at [email protected]
- Helena Robbins will represent the TLBA on the Shared Decision Making Committee at North Warren School.
- Bids have been given to our committee for the new signs at the entrances of our Towns and committee will present these to both Chestertown and Horicon Town Boards at this month’s meetings. Hopefully a decision will be made and these signs can be up for the upcoming summer season.
- Cindy Mead brought up the concept of having a WoofStock Festival in our towns (June 2015) and will head a committee to look into this. Popular throughout the country, there is no such event in the entire North East, and this festival of “Peace, Paws and Music” could be another huge draw to our area. Rum Runners Weekend was such a success, now we’ll travel back to 1969! Get your costumes ready!
- The high electricity costs we are all being subject to was discussed and Barb Dunham: [email protected] will be gathering letters of complaint from businesses and individuals to submit to our legislatures. Please send her your letter as again, there is power in numbers. Don Butler has also been working with John (#877-449-4429 x 10559) from Agway who can help with these elevated rates so give John a call for more information. Don also mentioned that with the new phone towers in place, Verizon will match ATT’s cell phone prices, so you might want to look into this further as well.
- A suggestion was made to have a Brant Lake Boat Parade this summer on July 4th. Raymond’s Cottages currently hosts such a parade every year, but the TLBA thought it would be fun to expand this event. Laura Shultz has offered her island house for the judges stand, and a committee will be looking into this further.
- The Bull House Restaurant is now selling liquor as well as their signature wines and ales.
- Rail Roads on Parade will open Memorial Day Weekend.
- The Mansions Restaurant is having a comedy show on April 11th. Tickets are $15 for the show or $30 dinner & show.
- There will be a Social Media Network class on Wednesday, April 9th, 9am at Jimbo’s for anyone interested in building up their web presence through social media (Face Book, etc.). Please email Brandon Himoff at [email protected] to register. Workshop is free.
- Garnet Signs submitted a suggestion for a digital sign (similar to what is in front of NW School) that we would like to have in front of the Chamber building to advertise local events. A committee will be discussing the feasibility of this with both Town Boards, the Chestertown Rotary and the Chamber of Commerce to discuss funding for this sign.
Next meeting is Friday, April 18, 2014 at 9am @ the Panther Mountain Inn.